This is a unique opportunity to gain direct experience at one of the UK’s leading book festivals. We are looking for a talented individual who will play a key role in every aspect of the book festival. As the Book Festival Intern, you will report to the Festival’s Literary Manager. You will be first point of contact for our speakers and you will:
- welcome high profile authors to our events
- manage event schedules
- work closely with professional venue management and technical teams
- set-up venues and manage speakers’ riders
- lead a team of Festival interns in microphone handling during event Q&As
- liaise with accommodation and transport providers
- write features for Festival blog and social media
- liaise with Festival partner Waterstones to provide book signings at events
This is a hugely rewarding role that will help you on your way to a great job in the creative industries. Previous interns now work in the arts, events, publishing, media, education and travel and tourism sectors. We are looking for an enthusiastic, friendly, self-motivated person who will thrive on the long days, variety of roles and pressure of the Festival.
Buxton Festival is a 17-day celebration of opera, music and books. Every year we welcome over 30,000 people to our diverse programme of events. The book festival draws large audiences to talks by a range of the UK’s best authors. You’ll get to meet politicians, comedians, historians, actors, academics, novelists, biographers and much more! This year features comedian Alexei Sayle, bestselling novelist Paula Hawkins, TV personality Julia Bradbury, historian Dr Lucy Worsley and politician Vince Cable.
The placement will run from 4th July – 27th July in Buxton. While the placements are unpaid we do provide simple accommodation in Buxton and £500 towards your food and travel expenses.
If you would like to apply please send a CV and covering letter telling us why you would be perfect for this exciting role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date – 13th May 2016